Were You Injured In a Motorcycle Accident?
Unlike other states, California has many registered motorcycles. With many bikers on the road, accidents are common. Motorcycle accidents, when they occur, are catastrophic and fatal, especially when the biker collides with a larger motor vehicle.
If involved in an accident in Burbank, you can receive compensation for your injuries. Contacting our experienced Avaness Law attorney will increase your chances of getting a fair deal for your damages.
Why Do I Need a Burbank Attorney After a Motorcycle Accident?
After a motorcycle accident, you will deal with liable parties to recover your damages. Dealing with these entities requires help from an experienced attorney to represent you. Our Burbank motorcycle accident attorney will:
- Handle the legal aspect of your claims to enable you to focus on recovery
- Deal with the insurance company for a fair settlement
- Push your case to trial upon failure by the insurance to offer fair compensation for your damages
- Seek compensation for your damages to ensure a quality life
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
98% of the riders in motorcycle accidents suffer injuries. Of these statistics, half will sustain serious injuries, some of which will have a lifelong impact. The common injuries in a motorcycle accident include:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Road rash from coming in contact with the road surfaces
- Fractures and breaks
- Internal injuries
- Neck injuries
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
Taking the proper steps after a motorcycle accident is crucial to your physical and financial recovery. After a motorcycle accident in Burbank, follow the steps below:
Seek medical attention: Getting medical help after a motorcycle accident is crucial, even when you have minor injuries. If ignored, a minor injury can become life-threatening in a few days.
Gather necessary evidence : Specific details of your accident are crucial when seeking compensation. These details include:
- Contact details of the witnesses at the accident scene
- Photos of the accident site, including your motorcycle and the other party
- Pictures of the visible injuries you sustained
- Medical information relating to the accident
- Contact details of the parties involved in the accident
- Insurance details of the parties involved in the accident
Reach out to a motorcycle attorney : Contact an experienced Burbank attorney as soon as possible. Our attorney will help you gather relevant evidence and represent you before the insurer. Insurance companies are profit-making organizations and will, in most cases, award minimally for damages caused by their client’s negligence. By working with our Burbank attorney, you can trust that we will represent your case to ensure you get a fair deal.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Most motorcycle accidents happen when other motorists in cars and trucks fail to look out for the bikers. Other causes of a motorcycle crash in Burbank include:
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving
- Following too closely
- Opening car doors into a motorcyclist
- Running traffic control devices such as the red lights
- Defective road conditions
- Motorcycle defects
- Bad weather conditions
- Poor road maintenance
- Low visibility due to low light or a relatively small motorcycle
In a motorcycle accident, a biker will suffer more as the motorcycle, unlike a car or truck, is open and lacks seatbelts. The biker can be thrown from their bikes and land on the pavement, causing severe injury or even death.
In addition to third-party negligence, a biker can put their lives at risk and cause an accident in the following ways:
- Reckless driving
- Failure to wear protective gear, such as the reflective jacket
- Poor maintenance of the motorcycle
What Compensation Can I Get After a Motorcycle Accident?
After a motorcycle accident, you are eligible for compensation for your damages. Recoverable damages include:
- Medical treatment
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of source of livelihood
- Loss of future income
- Property loss or damage
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Attorney fees
Who is Liable for My Motorcycle Accident?
When seeking compensation for damages after your accident, you must prove the other party’s negligence is a factor. Our experienced Burbank attorney will help with your investigations to establish whose negligence contributed to the accident. Common parties that you can hold liable in a motorcycle accident include:
- Other drivers: Drivers who break roadway rules should compensate you when they hit you.
- Motorcycle manufacturer: At times, your motorcycle may have a defect, such as faulty brakes, that makes it unsafe. You can hold the manufacturer liable upon confirming that you were using the motorcycle in the intended way and that the fault on the bike directly caused the accident.
- Local government: motorcycle accidents will likely occur on a poorly maintained or defective public road. Potential hazards include scattered debris and potholes. In such cases, you can file for negligence by the government with the help of our Burbank attorney.
California is an at-fault statement. Hence, even in accidents where you are at fault, you will qualify for compensation. The other party will bear responsibility to the extent of the damages they caused you. Given that insurers can limit your liability depending on the strength of your case, consider working with an experienced Burbank attorney to present strong evidence and ensure you get a fair deal.
WE ALSO OFFER THE FOLLOWING PRACTICE AREAS:
- Auto Accident
- Assault and Battery Charges
- Dog Bite
- Slip and Fall
- Truck Accident
- Workplace Injury
- Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident
- Brain Injury
- Bus Accident
- Uber and Rideshare Accident
Get Help From an Avaness Law Attorney
Often, third parties assume that motorcyclists are unsafe drivers. Such assumptions can make it challenging to prove they were at fault in the accident that caused your injuries. This is why working with an experienced attorney is advisable. At Avaness law, we will liaise with relevant professionals to prove your case and get suitable compensation. Contact us today and schedule your appointment. Contact our personal injury lawyers in Burbank, CA for more legal help.
Frequently Asked Questions For Motorcycle Accidents
What is a motorcycle accident lawyer?
A motorcycle accident lawyer is a type of personal injury lawyer who specializes in representing clients who have been injured in motorcycle accidents. These lawyers have a deep understanding of the legal and insurance systems and can help you navigate the process of seeking compensation for your damages.
When should I contact a motorcycle accident lawyer?
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, it’s important to contact a motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. The earlier you involve a lawyer in the process, the better chance you have of protecting your legal rights and receiving fair compensation for your losses. Additionally, it’s important to note that there are deadlines for filing personal injury claims, so it’s best to contact a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident.
What can a motorcycle accident lawyer do for me?
A motorcycle accident lawyer can provide a wide range of legal services, including:
- Investigating the accident to determine liability
- Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf
- Building a strong case to support your claim for damages
- Representing you in court if necessary
- Providing advice and guidance throughout the legal process
- Ensuring you receive fair compensation for your losses, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering
How much does it cost to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer?
Most motorcycle accident lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. This means that they only get paid if you receive a settlement or win your case in court. Typically, the lawyer’s fee is a percentage of the total amount you receive in compensation, which is usually around 33%. This arrangement allows you to hire a lawyer without worrying about upfront costs or fees.
What should I look for when hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer?
When hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer, it’s important to look for someone who has experience handling motorcycle accident cases specifically. You should also consider the lawyer’s reputation, track record of success, and communication style. It’s important to choose a lawyer who you feel comfortable working with and who will keep you informed throughout the legal process.
What types of damages can I recover in a motorcycle accident case?
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to recover compensation for a wide range of damages, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Rehabilitation costs
- Disability and disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
What is the statute of limitations for filing a motorcycle accident claim?
The statute of limitations for filing a motorcycle accident claim varies by state, but it’s typically two to three years from the date of the accident. It’s important to consult with a motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible to ensure that you don’t miss the deadline for filing your claim.
Can I still recover damages if I was partially at fault for the accident?
In many states, you can still recover damages even if you were partially at fault for the accident. This is known as comparative negligence or comparative fault. However, your damages may be reduced based on your percentage of fault. For example, if you were found to be 20% at fault for the accident, your damages would be reduced by 20%.
- Snap photos of any injuries and property damage
- If you can, take pictures of the scene of the accident (including any debris, nearby traffic lights)
- Any expenses paid out of pocket (medical bills, prescriptions)